I have been extremely well behaved (for the last 24 hours).
I go from one extreme to another. Friday night I was perhaps just a little bit out of control again. However, I was ultimately topped by the disgusting antics of my roommate's not-so-secret admirer, culminating in him literally running away from the bar as we tried to call him a cab. (You know it's bad when the next day you get a text message saying, "Did you take me home last night?") Even I'm not that bad... nor will I ever be!
I did, however, get a little feisty, pick a fight with my roommate (thankfully after we were at a friend's house, not still in public), and turn on the waterworks again. I do not know what is up with me and drunk crying these days! But everything has since been resolved, and forgiveness has been granted on all sides.
One thing that seemed to surprise our Lynchburger friends as we headed out from the shenanigans in the wee hours of Saturday morning was that I was heading to Richmond later that day since I was the guest preacher at a church this morning. Now, I'm of the theory that leading a sermon while intoxicated is a horrible idea. I'd even go so far as to say leading one while hungover is not very inspired. But what I don't think is that preachers have to be perfect, and i don't think it's so bad for me to have been out Friday night, fully recovered Saturday, and ready to roll this morning. Of course my sermon wasn't about abstaining from alcohol... that would just be wrong (on so many levels).
But before you decide I'm a hypocrite for working for a Christian nonprofit - even standing in a pulpit all morning - ask yourself if perhaps this is not the crux of Christianity at its best: a person having a hard week, having a wee bit too much 'poison,' causing a bit of trouble on the homefront, playing a few rounds of Kings, sinnin' it up, and then praising God's redemptive spirit and grace on Sunday morning. I'm not saying I'm faultless; I'm saying the exact opposite. I'm not saying I behaved well this week; again, I'm saying the exact opposite. Tell yourself you need Grace, and you're on your way to a wonderful Sunday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home