theburgblog

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Back in... red, white, and blue

No, I was not eaten by the Nut Lady... I survived the week and am now in the 'Noke for a couple days of relaxation! The week in D.C. was actually quite great. Well, except for being soaked through to the skin 3 different times while handing out sandwiches in parks, one room flooding, one morning without electricity, a case of pink eye, a case of the barfs, the metro closing, and a whole day's activity being cancelled from the rain. I mean really, other than that, it was great! haha. The kids that came were awesome and we did a lot of fun and eye-opening things... worked at different soup kitchens, met with other nonprofits, had some panel speakers, met with our legislators on Capitol Hill about hunger and poverty legislation, etc. I think everyone had a good experience... except maybe the barf guy. The Nut Lady definitely did! She was also much cooler than expected. Well, maybe "cooler" isn't the right word. But I enjoyed her.

For the past couple of days I've been destressing - not to be confused with distressing - mostly laying next to my mom's pool reading. For those of you who know her, they're moving, yet again. The new house is off of Brambleton near VA Western. Anyway, it has a pool and I don't have to clean it, so I'm a big fan! Don't worry, my legs still reflect light. Why is it that I can no longer tan now that I actually want to? Sigh.

Heading back to the 'Burg tonight. Working tomorrow and Thursday, then off to the Eastern Shore of VA for two more camps Friday. If I start talking like teenagers after this summer of camps, somebody alert me. I already feel a strange hankering to watch "My So-Called Life" reruns.

Oh yeah, happy 4th of July!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home