theburgblog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Knee-slapping laughter

I don't think I have ever in my life laughed as hard at something in a movie as something that happens in real life. I love funny movies, and definitely every now and then I let out a little giggle or at least break into a big grin. But seriously, at the past three movies I've been to - the Trifecta ending with "Grown Ups" tonight - moviegoers around me have been like peeing their pants around me. It kind of makes me feel like I have a bad sense of humor; but can that be true?? It's not that I don't "get" the jokes, because I do; and some are even really funny. I guess no matter how wrapped up in a movie I get, I am still fully aware that I am sitting in a public movie theater. Honestly, tonight I had to turn to a friend and ask if I was missing something. The movie was funny! Maybe just rental-worthy as opposed to theater-worthy, but still amusing. Nevertheless, I just do not see why scenes that were on previews (like grown men peeing in a pool that then turns blue) cause people to freak out whooping and slapping their knees. Was it only my TV that that preview aired on 300 times a day? And then there are the predictable funny scenes, like when a guy ziplines into the wall of a shack. How is it possible that out of 100 people in the theater, only myself and my 2 friends saw that coming? It's not; these people just think it's the funniest thing that's ever happened *even though* they knew it was about to happen.

I don't know. I can't say it really bothers me a lot to hear other people have a good time at the movies. I can always still hear what's going on, and while at one point tonight I thought I might get wacked in the head with the guy behind me's ... hmm... "3rd leg"?... while he discussed loudly and repeatedly how hot he thought one of the actresses was, other than that the hooting and guffawing is only mildly distracting. Truthfully, at times people in the audience doing this have amused me more than the movies themselves! I guess it just makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my sense of humor. Do I have to make a show of how funny I think a movie is, or can I just watch the show?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home