theburgblog

Friday, September 26, 2008

If you can't break out the convict...

... break out the tissues.

This week, I've been having one-on-one meetings with my kids for this school year. After finding out whether they like Hannah Montana or 50 Cent, rollerskating or riding their bikes, reading or math, I have to cut the small talk and ask them about their mom/dad who is/are in jail.

Many of the stories I cannot tell due to confidentiality laws, similar to ones many of you have in the healthcare, legal, or educational fields, of course. But let me just tell you that these little people are breaking my heart one second and inspiring me the next. Today I met with a downright adorable first grader. You just wanted to pick her up and squeeze her (but I think there's a law against that, too). She told me stories about different things in her life, which was great... until she offered me a story of visiting her dad in jail. It was complete with, "They tell all the men when to stand up and when to sit down and they have to do that" and "Sometimes we have to wait for 50 hours to visit him." She's just so beautiful, so vulnerable, so loving... and so freaking young. It is really, really amazing to get to do what I am doing. Please pray for my kiddies - they didn't do anything wrong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home