Getting out the red pen
Each year, my organization comes out with an Annual Report that sums up the year's work, finances, staff changes, etc. It's especially important for us as a nonprofit, because major donors use it to gauge how much they want to continue to give and if they think we're spending their money wisely.
My coworker who writes the AR freaks out around this time every year. Normally a very high-strung person, she is seriously off her rocker from February to April each year... and that is putting it nicely. She has GOT to be in control of every aspect of this production. I honestly bet that she can't sleep for thinking about this flippin report.
How does this relate to me? Well, she hates asking me for editing help, even though it is possibly the only thing I am actually qualified to do in this joint. However, when I happened to notice she had Jesus lying in a "manager" instead of a "manger" in our annual 10,000 print run fundraising Christmas card, she didn't complain... nor did she complain when, yesterday, I noticed on another big production invitation she spelled our state "Virignia." They're simple mistakes, not indicative of her not knowing how to spell something - just an example of why it's always important to get another set of eyes on documents.
Some higher-up just made her ask me to edit the AR, and I'm pretty sure it's the worst day of her life. I gave her a little bit of control back by not freaking out when she told me which pen to use (no, I'm not kidding). What can I say... I do what I can.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home