theburgblog

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The red, white, and blue of it all...

I'm as sick of the political mumbo-jumbo as the next person, but today I just had to stop and realize how great the principle of a U.S. election really is. Now, I'm not trying to be idealistic, and I certainly think it's important to evaluate candidates' trustworthiness and backgrounds and voting records, and in no way do I think either candidate is an angel... nor do I understand how some people can relish the whole campaign process (the only part I am actually relishing is the SNL skits).

That said, I'm sitting at an intersection today waiting for the light to turn, and the wonderfulness of America just hits me. Turning onto the road next to me are people of all ethnic backgrounds, all ages, all different levels of consumerism in terms of their cars' niceness... and we're all in this together. I just think sometimes the buzzword of "freedom" overshadows the real joy of living in a society constantly shaped and reshaped in "melting pot" fashion, and it was inspirational for me to have a moment that I could embrace that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home